Spring Lawn Care
After having a bit of a rest over the winter months, your lawn will be ready and raring to get going again once the temperature starts to increase and the sun starts to shine. Here's our spring lawn care guide to get you on your way.
Now is a good time to give your lawn a bit of attention ready for the year ahead. Below are some tips for looking after your lawn in the spring.
- Wait until the lawn is dry enough to mow, and set you mower to the one of the higher settings. Avoid cutting it too short all at once, you should never take more than one third of the length of the grass off at one time.
- As spring continues, the lawn will need mowing more frequently and you can gradually lower the height of your mower.
- Spring is a good time to feed your turf ready for the year. This is when the lawn starts to grow rapidly again, so feeding the lawn helps to create a dense and healthy lawn.
- Use a spring feed, or a combined spring weed and feed to combat any weeds that have appeared over the winter too.
- Over the winter time, some weeds may have appeared in your grass. Either dig these out and seed any bare patches, or use a weed and feed as mentioned above.
- If your lawn contains a lot of moss, now is a good time to scarify it out. You can start by using a moss killer and then scarify it out once it has turned brown.
- If you lawn puts up with a lot of wear and tare, it may appreciate some overseeding. Spread seed over any thin or sparse areas, combined with some topdressing or topsoil to create a strong, dense lawn.
- Any particularly worn areas can be patched up with rolls of turf.