Seasonal Lawn Care: Autumn
So summer is over and the leaves are starting to fall – Autumn has arrived! Now is the time to tidy your lawn ready for the cooler months ahead.
- Keep your lawn clear of fallen leaves and debris using a rake or a brush.
- As autumn sets in, your lawn will need mowing less frequently and the end of autumn/ start of winter will probably see your final cut of the year.
- Set you mower height to one of the higher settings to avoid cutting the grass to short.
- It is a good idea to give your lawn an autumn feed ready for the winter. This will help to keep it green and prevent the onset of diseases.
- Aerate compacted soils to allow air and water to reach the roots, improving drainage and encouraging strong deep root growth.
- This is only necessary if moss or thatch is a problem in your lawn. Autumn is a good time to scarify and tidy the lawn ready for winter. Used a moss killer and then rake out the moss when it has turned a brown colour.